Our automobile engine needs it’s oil changed at least once a year. Oil over time and use breaks down in your engine. It gets darker in color and thinner in consistency, it loses it’s viscosity. When this happens the engines internal parts start to wear. It is hard on rings, bearings, valves, and cams. To save your engine you must get regular oil changes. Jiffy Lube prices are decent rate for the service and checking done to verify if other maintenance is required.
Are cheap oil changes something you do yourself? When you weigh everything a do it yourself oil change is not cheap. You must go get the oil and a filter for your vehicle, hoist the vehicle up in the air, and then do the rest of the work. By the time you are done you might save 5 to 10 dollars for your time and mess.
Cheap oil changes are when you take it in to a specialized shop that is designed to change oil. They either put your car or pickup over a pit or hoist it up. They can get at things real easily and have all tools right there where needed. They have the correct tool for every situation. They have a container to put the used oil in and have new oil and filters on hand. They know what they are doing and make short work out of your oil change.
Is this better then crawling under your vehicle and fighting every step of the process. You could ruin a shirt or your best pair of blue jeans. To me cheap oil changes are done by a professional oil changing company that have everyday experience. They do it in a timely manner and the price is very fair. There work is guaranteed and they take care of all the mess. The best part is you have time to do something that you would enjoy much more.
An oil change is something every engine usually around every ten thousand kilometers traveled. There are many ways you can have your oil changed. This is a process that does not take very long if you are equipped to do it. How do you know you need an oil change?
Oil in an engine breaks down over the course of the cars life, When this happens it’s protective value is greatly reduced and it starts to damage an engine. This is the time you will have wear in internal moving parts like rings and bearings. When a motor wears it starts to burn oil and this process keeps getting worse. Even if you do not use an engine very much it is a good idea to get the oil changed once a year.
Most new oil is a light brown almost see through in color. When oil wears and breaks down it becomes a lot darker and thinner. You should change your oil before it gets to dark in color or thin like water in consistency. On car and pickup engines it is not a bad idea to change the oil every three thousand miles. A little longer will not hurt but do not get carried away.
You can change your own oil or have a place that specializes in it do it for you. You have to have a safe way of lifting your vehicle to change the oil. You can drive it up on ramps or jack and block it up. Alot of work that does not save you much money. An oil change specialized shop has an easy way to hoist your vehicle to get at everything. They can drain your oil and change the oil filter in a matter of minutes. No mess and no long waits when you have it done. There work is guaranteed and most use quality products. It will save you alot of time on that day off you have when you want to be doing something else. It is important to keep your vehicle healthy in order for it too not break down, you can do this by keeping an eye on it and making sure that you keep it in good running condition. If you want a cheap oil change there is no better solution than doing it yourself, it just depends on if its something you like doing and if you have the time to do it.
It pays to take good care of your car and to check the fluids on a regular basis. One of the most important fluids is your oil. Frequent oil changes are the best way to ensure that your engine will run optimally and have a long life.
Here are five reasons to change your car’s oil on a regular basis:
- Oil is a lubricant and protects the engine. But it will break down due to the high operating temperature of the engine. When oil breaks down, it will not be able to do a proper lubrication, which will allow parts of the engine to rub together and wear out. An oil change in West L.A. on a regular basis will prevent this from happening.
- Oil will absorb different substances, such as water, dust and byproducts of combustion. But when oil can no longer absorb these substances, which is the case when it needs changing, the engine will be affected by them and will be subject to corrosion as a result. A West L.A. oil change will give the engine fresh oil to work with, and clean oil is always the best.
- When it comes to an oil change West L.A. drivers know that fresh oil will keep the engine working efficiently, and dirty oil will only impair the engine. With the amount of driving that L.A. residents do, they need to keep their car’s oil clean and at the appropriate level for the engine to give its most efficient performance.
- Your engine will have a shorter life if you do not get frequent oil changes. An oil change is inexpensive, but getting a new engine or parts for your engine is a totally different matter. With a West L.A. oil change performed regularly, your engine will have a long life and will give you better mileage and performance.
- An oil change in West L.A. is a relatively simple matter and can be done in a short span of time. If you need to have your engine repaired or replaced, it will be time-consuming and may even involve the need for a rental car if your auto shop cannot do the work right away.
When their cars need an oil change West L.A. residents know how important this simple process is for the life of their engines and the performance of their autos. It would be risky to become complacent or negligent about keeping the oil clean, especially when it is such a simple and inexpensive matter but will do so much good for your car.
With frequent oil changes, you will get long life out of your engine and good performance out of your car.
You will need the following to do an oil change:
- Oil filter
- Motor oil
- Oil filter clamp
- Ratchet set or ring spanner
- Oil pan
- Some bricks
Below are the three easy steps you need to follow to replace the engine oil in your car (oil change).
- Before you start make sure you are wearing overalls, or old clothing. Make sure your hand brake is on and your car is in park, (Auto) or in gear (manual transmission). Jack your car up to the required hight so you can fit underneath it. Place some bricks under the car on each side to support the car at the same height as the jack.
- Find the correct sized socket for your ratchet, or ring spanner size, by checking it on the plug on the button of the sump. Place the oil pan under your car directly underneath the sump plug. Undo the sump plug and. Drain the oil until it stops running; this should take about 5 – 10 minutes maybe more for a larger car. While the engine oil is draining, undo the oil filter that is attached to the side of the motor with an oil filter clamp. Also undo your oil cap that’s on top of your motor. It is best to drain the oil from the motor while the engine oil is warm, but if it is hot you will need to be very careful not to burn yourself on the hot oil of motor.
- Make sure the oil filter rubber “O” ring and the engines mating surface are perfectly clean. Place a small amount of motor oil on the “O” ring of the oil filter. Clean the drain plug and the drain plug hole surrounds of the engine. Replace and tighten the oil filter. Take the oil pan out from under your car. Put the sump plug back onto the sump do not over tighten the plug. Fill your oil up using the funnel until its full then run the car check your dip stick to see if your oil is still low then fill it up again if needed check your dip stick again. Check to see if there is any oil leaking form the side of the engine block. Replace the oil cap on top the engine. Make shore there are no tools under your car. Remove bricks from both sides of your car. Lower the jack down slowly and your done.
By doing an oil change your car will preform better and there will be less wear on your engine in the long run.
By doing an oil change your self you will save between $30 – $70 dollars. And you can now spend that money on something else.
Note: do not attempted to do this service if you are not confident. Car parts plus does not take any responsibility for how this information is used and accept no responsibility for loss of expenses.